Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Running...

I think I have officially made up my mind and have set a goal for myself that is really going to challenge me.

After a long over due shedding of most of my extra "baby" weight, returning to working out on a (somewhat) regular basis, getting back into playing soccer and taking up hockey I have come to realize that pushing my body physically can be very rewarding and a lot of fun too. So, I have decided that I am going to take up running, too, and actually begin training to be able to someday run a marathon. WOW! Huh?

It may sound crazy but I have had many encounters over the past month or so with people who run all the time and actually travel long distances just to compete (or just have fun) in different types of runs. It is fascinating to listen to them talk about their experiences as a runner.

I have to admit that it is going to be difficult trying to start this in the middle of the summer, and the heat. I am not a member at a gym (I work out at home) and so my only way to get running in (instead of on a tread mill) is the outdoors. I am going to have to do my best to fit time in the early morning or late evening. I am not that much of a morning person so it is going to be really hard to get up too early. I might have to start by getting out in the evenings. Maybe I will try both and see what works best.

If there are any of you that may have some advice on how to get started, or any other "good to know" tips, they would be greatly appreciated.

7 comments:

Chelle said...

I have different training schedules for 5Ks, half marathons, marathons, etc. Let me know if you want any of them. Start with two miles or so, progress from there. Cross train too (ride a bike, etc) to prevent overuse injuries. There you go, that's my advice :)

Jen said...

Amy! I too would love to start running. Well maybe starting out with a brisk walk!HA I too would love to work up to running some sort of marathon. In theory it seems great but I don't know if I can physically do it! I guess I just need to work up to it!! Good luck to you as you get started!! I can't wait to hear about your success!!

Chelle said...

Listen up! If I can run a full marathon and half marathons, ANYONE can. Believe you me, it can be done!

Ames said...

chelle-Yes, any help in getting started would be great.

Jen-of course you can do it...maybe not today or tomorrow but you can if you trrain and build up to it.

Chelle said...

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,sssss6-238-244--11816-1-1X2X3X4-5,00.html?cm_mmc=Mag_URL-_-2007_June-_-Article-_-Run%20Less%20For%20More%20Results

Click on the above post for a training guide for a 5K...which is a good place to start. Also, make sure you have good shoes!!!

Ames said...

You are the 2nd person to suggest runner's world. Cool. Thanks.

Ginger said...

I only run when being chased by something much bigger than me. Even then, I try rational discussion and pleading first.

Sorry. No advice from the poor asthmatic girl.

But good luck to you, though!