Thursday, March 18, 2010

Question...Running?

For any runners out there...How do you get started and then once you do how do you know that your body can handle it?

I have been wanting to start training my body to be a runner however, it just seems so overwhelming. I have started by forcing myself to walk (a fast aerobic type of walk). I will admit that I am having a hard time being consistent though. The thing that is hard about being consistent is the getting into a routine and doing it at the same time everyday.  I am really not a morning person and it is painful crawling out of bed to do it before "Starting my day".  Evening is hard because I am always fretting over what to do or make for dinner (for those that REALLY know me, they know that dinner time is my LEAST favorite time of the day) and I forget about getting out to exercise  (plus in a couple more weeks it will not be possible to get out in the afternoon due to the extreme heat). I guess I am going to have to pull myself out of bed and do mornings.  Ok now that I have that taken care of....

How do you know if running is something that your body can handle?  I have been walking for a while now and the other day I found myself walking so fast that I thought "I might as well run", so I did. Well, it didn't last long as I found myself huffing and puffing like a panting dog. I also started having really heavy chest pains.  I don't know about you, but this didn't seem right or normal. I have yet to try again. Maybe I need a little more time and conditioning, or maybe it is time to find something new...hummm?

2 comments:

Chelle said...

Yes, you can run, you can work up to it, your body is designed to do it. There's a great program called "Couch to 5K" for beginning runners. Great program, and it helps people who are just starting out, you can find it here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Your body just needs to be reconditioned and your cardiovascular system may need to be strengthened. I know I have exercise enduced asthma, so I take AdvoCare O2 Gold which helps increase oxygen supply. It totally helps me.

But, yes, you can run girl!

Bethany said...

I'm right there with you Aunt Amy!